Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Maintenance and Repairs and other RV topics.
The rear end gears of your RV take a lot of abuse. In order to keep them running properly the fluid must be maintained. Refer to your owner's manual for exact procedures but generally you can check the fluid with the following steps:
1. Level the RV, put the trans in park and block the wheels.
2. Locate the differential check plug. On Fords and Chevys it is usually a 3/8" square plug on the front side of the housing.
3. Remove the plug and verify the level is correct- (refer to the owner's manual) usually about 1/4" below the bottom of the check hole.
4. Top off the fluid as needed with the correct type.
5. REINSTALL THE CHECK PLUG!!