Driving Your RV Across the Canadian/United States Border with a Pet

Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Life on the Road /RV Safety and other RV topics.

Can I cross the Canadian/United States border with my pet?

Driving Your RV Across the Canadian/United States Border with a Pet

Crossing the Canadian/United States border with a cat or dog is fairly simple. The animal must have a rabies vaccination certificate, issued by a licensed veterinarian, which shows the vaccine was administered within 12 months of the border crossing. The document must also have an accurate description of the animal. A letter from your veterinarian certifying the overall health of the animal is not required, but acts as a back-up. Cats and dogs under three months of age are exempt. Animals and your RV are subject to inspection at the border.

Pet birds more than three days old may be imported, subject to a health inspection at the border. Owners must sign a declaration that they have owned the bird for at least 90 days prior to entry. Special rules apply for birds on the endangered species list. Special permits are required for exotic pets such as amphibians, reptiles and aquarium fish.

The rules sometimes vary depending on which country you are entering. If visiting Canada, its best to check with the Canada Border Services Agency. If traveling to the United States consult the U.S. Customs and Border Service and/or the USDA, United States Department of Agriculture.

Don’t forget your own valid passport and make sure the registration and insurance on your RV will be valid for the duration of your trip.



Nobody has commented on this tip yet. Be the first.


URL: (optional)


Not finding the advice and tips you need on this RV Tip Site? Request a Tip Now!

Guru Spotlight
Sherril Steele-Carlin