Truck Campers and Safety
Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Truck Campers and other RV topics.
How can I be safe when towing a truck camper?
Safety is important when you are carrying the extra weight of a truck camper:
- Make sure you choose the right camper for your truck. A bad fit will cause your truck to be overloaded and unsafe. If the camper fits but your truck is shy of handling the load, there are modifications you can make to increase towing power. A small truck camper may be an option if you don't have a large truck
- You may want to add air bags and install new shocks and/or tires, depending on weight. Not only will your truck handle towing your camper better, but you may increase gas mileage and lower wear and tear on your vehicle
- Sometimes, a large camper will cover the rear lights of your truck. Consult your dealer or service center for alterations that work with your battery
- Be sure your tie-downs are firmly in place before starting out
- Check your owner's manual for more safety tips. If you are unsure, consult your service center expert for advice
Nobody has commented on this tip yet. Be the first.